Overloaded Circuit Lead To Binghamton Building Fire

By Candace Chapman

July 22, 2010 Updated Feb 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM EDT

An overloaded circuit appears to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a building in Binghamton.

This was the scene Saturday night at the corner of Chenango and Eldredge Streets.

It housed businesses and apartments.

Binghamton police say investigators narrowed the source of the fire to a crock pot, overheated electric heater, or both.

There was no running water in the apartment.

Binghamton Firefighters had to rescue David Chamberlin who has burns on his back and hands.

He's in fair conditions at Wilson Hospital.

3 other people who were inside got out on their own

The building was also home to Ed's Bargain Corner and Masters Dry Cleaners on the first floor.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.