On April 30, 2008 the Broome County Sheriffs 0ffice and Chenango Fire Company responded to a fire alarm at the Super 8 Motel 650 Old Front Street in the Town of Chenango.
A fire had occurred in one of the motel rooms. Subsequent investigation determined the fire cause to be incendiary in nature. The occupant of the room had caused a fire in a trash can which then was spread to the bathroom where a sprinkler head was activated summoning the fire department. Damage to the motel is estimated at over $50,000. During the fire investigation an amount of a controlled substance believed to be crack cocaine and hydrocodone was located inside the motel room.
The subject who occupied the room was located at a local motel in Endwell on May 13, 2008 and taken into custody. During the arrest the subject who is identified as Steven Douglas Tenney 50 years old of 315 Exchange Street Endicott New York attempted to destroy a quantity of cocaine by flushing it down
He has been charged with the following:
In connection with the April 30, 2008 incident
1. Arson in the fourth degree a class E Felony
2. Reckless Endangerment in the second degree a class A Misdemeanor
3. Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance seventh degree (2 counts) a class A Misdemeanor
4. Violation of the Public Health Law for Possessing a Controlled Substance Outside its Dispensed container.
In connection with the May 13, 2008 incident
1. Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the fifth degree a class D Felony
2. Tampering with physical evidence a class E Felony
Tenney was arraigned in the Town of Dickinson Court and remanded to the Broome County Jail without bail. The arrest and investigation was conducted by Deputy Scoft Morgan, Deputy Kevin Smith and Detective Sergeant Jason Ellis.