Enhanced Drivers License

By WBNG News

Enhanced Drivers License

July 22, 2010 Updated May 27, 2008 at 6:21 PM EDT

New York will offer drivers licenses that could also be used instead of a passport at border crossings.

Governor David Paterson announced the federal Homeland Security Department has approved an Enhance License for New York.

The Department of Motor Vehicles hopes to have them available by the end of the summer.

If you want an Enhanced Drivers License, or EDL, it will cost 30 dollars more than a regular license.

It's good for 8 years and won't look much different.

It will include necessary information to allow you cross the US border by land or sea.

Starting in June of 2009, US citizens must have a passport or other federally approved document to re-enter the country from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.