A family of 5 from Horseheads remains in the hospital after an explosion destroyed their house yesterday morning. Ken and Christina Peterson remain in serious condition at Arnot Ogden Medical Center.As of last night, their 12-year-old son and nephew remained in guarded condition, at Strong Memorial in Rochester.They're 8-year-old son has been discharged from Strong Memorial.Several neighborhood homes and businesses were damaged in the blast, which is still under investigation.
The house that once stood at 714 Fox Street is completely leveled after the Saturday morning explosion.
Chemung County emergency services says this disaster may have been caused by a natural gas explosion. A speculation that could be verified after an investigation by Chemung County Fire officials. More than 50 fire fighters from Horseheads and Town and Country fire departments responded to the explosion. The explosion damaged 35 homes or businesses in a two block radius. The American Red Cross is providing shelter for the neighbors directly affected by the blast.
Chemung County Code Enforcement says it's waiting for insurance companies to visit the homes on this block to determine a timeline for letting families move back in.