Fire Rescue

July 22, 2010 Updated Dec 16, 2005 at 3:50 PM EDT


Endicott and 4 surrounding fire companies responded to 1204 Witherill Street in Endicott just before 5:00 am.
When firefighters arrived, they found a man trapped on the roof and smoke pouring from the building.
Firefighters rescued the man with a ladder.
Another person who lived there got out on his own.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the 3 alarm blaze.
"We had fire throughout the first floor and also into the second floor. It also extended out to another one floor section of the building," said Endicott Fire Marshall Stephen Hrustich.
Hrustich says electric service failed and started the fire in the ceiling of the first floor living room.
The wiring into the building was clamped too tight.
There are 4 apartment units and all have smoke and water damage.
The American Red Cross is helping the 2 people who lived in the building.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.