Fire Destroys Chenango County Home

By Jared Kaplan

July 22, 2010 Updated Jan 3, 2006 at 5:24 PM EDT

The 3 alarm fire started around 4am Tuesday at a house on county route 32 in the Town of Norwich.
The woman who lives there escaped without injury.
Norwich City firefighters say the space heater was not placed in a safe spot.
"It was a kerosene heater that was too close to some items in the house and they ignited while she was sleeping," says Norwich City Fire Chief John Tighe.
The Red Cross is helping the woman with shelter and other needs.
The Norwich City fire department has responded to more fires the usual this season because of heating devices.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.