How to Spend Federal Funds in Binghamton

By Gabe Osterhout

July 22, 2010 Updated May 23, 2006 at 12:50 AM EDT

The City of Binghamton is set to receive more than $2 million from the federal government. But unlike in years past, it might not be used to keep additional police officers on city streets.

The City's Community Development Advisory Committee held a public hearing, looking for some ideas on how to spend that money.

It will support Community Development Block Grants, which are used to fund city services and community programs.

"Consider sustaining one of the agencies that has been around this community and has served an under served population, an at risk population who have done that consistently and done that very well," said Valerie Hampton of the Broome County Urban League.
For the past few years, some of that money has been used to pay for four additional police officers.

According to Mayor Matt Ryan's office, that won't happen this year.

It says, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which distributes the money, has told his office, it's no longer an option.

But, we spoke to HUD representative Adam Glance earlier.

He said that money can help the police force, as long as the city can demonstrate a need for it.

Either way, members of city council say they'll come up with money to pay for those officers even if it can't use CDBG funds.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.