Vestal Family Left Homeless

July 22, 2010 Updated Oct 14, 2006 at 10:45 PM EDT

A family of four is left homeless tonight, after a fire rips through their Vestal home.

Just after 8:30 this morning, the Vestal fire department was called here to 324 Rayelene Drive in Vestal.

The fire started in the home's basement.

It was quickly put out, but smoke damaged the house enough so the family can't live there.

The family of four and a house guest were inside when it caught fire, but no one was injured.

Vestal Assistant Fire Chief Doug Rose says the fire started because of a plastic vent on a dryer.

"It's a common occurrence with the plastic. Especially if the dryer vent becomes partially clogged with lint. Even though you clean the lint trap in the dryer, lint still builds up in the bottom of the dryer, as well as in the exhaust vent," he said.

Rose says the family is staying with relatives while their home is repaired.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.