Cal Harris Pleads Not Guilty To Murder, Again

By James Gaddis

July 22, 2010 Updated Feb 27, 2007 at 11:58 PM EST

Last month, the judge threw out the first indictment against Cal Harris, citing problems with how the DA presented the case to the grand jury.
Today, Harris returned to the same courtroom as the case starts over.
When asked by Action News Reporter Mike Trim if he was upset about being indicted again, Harris said nothing outside Tioga County Court.
Inside, he pled not guilty to second degree murder. Harris is accused of killing his wife, Michele, in 2001, but her body has never been found.
He's back in court less than a month after Judge Martin Smith dismissed the original indictment, filed in 2005. The judge said district attorney Gerald Keene had too much influence over the first grand jury. Keene said he presented fewer pieces of evidence and fewer witnesses the second time.
"I can't comment on the strength of the case, ok? All I can tell you is the judge found that there were errors in the way the case was originally presented. I presented it a second time and tried to avoid those errors," said Keene.
Inside the Tioga County courtroom, Harris' attorney, Joe Cawley said he'll file a motion to review the second grand jury transcripts. Outside the courthouse, he wouldn't comment.
The Harris trial is scheduled to start May 21st. Harris will remain free on bail. He posted 500 thousand dollars cash bail when he was first charged in 2005. The judge will schedule another hearing on a request to change bail security to property value, so Harris can get the cash back.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.