Senior Resident Dies After Clothes Catch Fire

July 22, 2010 Updated Jun 17, 2007 at 4:47 PM EDT

A woman dies after her clothes catch fire at a senior citizen home.

It happened Saturday afternoon at Bridges Cornell Heights in Ithaca.

Ithaca Police say 90-year-old Ruth Grodzins was outside smoking.

That's when her dress caught on fire.

Owner Elizabeth Ambrose says Grodzins probably fell asleep, and accidentally ignited her clothing.

She suffered burns over half her body, and was flown to University Hospital in Syracuse.

Grodzins died Saturday evening.

A Bridges worker was also injured trying to put out the fire.

He suffered minor burns and was released from the hospital.

Bridges Cornell Heights cares for 14 seniors at its Ithaca facility.

Ithaca Fire and Police are investigating.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.