Trapped Baby Rescued From Vent

By WBNG News

July 22, 2010 Updated Mar 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM EDT

Johnson City, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A child is home from the hospital after falling through an open heating vent.

The infant suffered minor scrapes and bruises after being wedged between 2 floors at 78 Main Street in Johnson City.

Just before 1 Wednesday afternoon, the Johnson City Fire Department found 19 month old, Jayden Newman, caught in a heating system.

Jayden's mother says she was in the bathroom when she heard a cry from inside a vent in her home and immediately called 911.

Fire Chief Steven Hrustich says the floor vent cover was missing, which enabled the boy to climb inside.

The boy fell down to the lower section of the heating unit, where he remained trapped for a half hour.

Firefighters were able to free him by pulling him out from the bottom of the vent in the basement, two floors down from where he fell in.

"Toddlers are active, and things like this happen. This is an extreme case where he did fall through down a whole story in the building," said Hrustich.

Johnson City Police say a criminal case is pending against the boy's family, but could not say what the charges may be.

Johnson City Code Enforcement will be condemning the building.

NYSEG inspectors red tagged many of the appliances in the building as unsafe.

Tenants have been packing up their belonging all afternoon.

The Red Cross has set up a shelter for anyone in the building who needs a place to stay.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.