Barn Fire Cause: Malfunction of Air Compressor

By WBNG News

July 22, 2010 Updated Apr 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM EDT

Chenango Forks, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A malfunctioning air compressor caused a fire that destroyed a barn in Chenago Forks.

Fire Crews responded to 520 Cloverdale Road around 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.

Action News arrived on the scene to see heavy flames and smoke coming out of the building.

Fire firefighters did not go in the building to put out the fire because they were afraid it would collapse.

Broome County's Fire Coordinator say the barn has major structure damage.

"I just came down to help a guy to clean up all the steel and junk cars, so it looks better out back and then I looked around and I seen the smoke and called the fire department," said Douglas Kenyon of Greene.

"They had partial collapse of the roof, they had heavy fire in the barn and heavy smoke, thick black smoke coming from it," said Brett Chellis, Broome County Fire Coordinator.

The property is at the line of Broome and Chenango counties.

Tractors, tools and tires were stored in the building.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.