Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Binghamton High School was under lock down until classes dismissed Thursday afternoon.
Action News reporter Matt Markham continues our team coverage from the Live Desk.
The school district released a statement just after 2:00 this afternoon, saying that today's events have now moved to a full investigation between Binghamton City Police and the Binghamton City School District.
The District also acknowledged that several fights broke out in specific areas around the school building.
Area police responded and secured the area around the school.
They moved many loitering students a few blocks away while other students still in the building were supposed to remain there until the end of the school day.
I spoke with Linda Snyder with the school district today who told me that there are procedures in place for an event such as this, and for help to arrive on the scene quickly.
After the fight, Snyder tells Action News that district and school administrators had been meeting throughout the day.
Among the focus of their discussion, whether or not a senior awards ceremony would still take place tonight.
Parents were not encouraged to come to school to pick up their kids. Some got their kids out for the day, others had a hard time trying.
"She's been able to text me -- and she's real scared. All the seniors throwing eggs and shaving cream all over the place and was worried about getting hit with food," said Mary Powers, a BHS parent.
"It always happens like this during the last few days of school. They try to act up because they don't get in trouble as much as they would in the beginning of the school year," said Jamel Harris, a BHS student.
The district says that this could have started as a senior prank, but that will become more apparent as the investigation continues.
Police monitored this afternoons dismissal to make sure there were no further incidents.
The district says safety and security of the high school is always a priority.