Electric Stove And Fireplace Remotes Could Cause Fire Hazard

By WBNG News

Electric Stove And Fireplace Remotes Could Cause Fire Hazard

July 22, 2010 Updated Mar 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM EDT

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled Remote Control Kits for Electric Fireplaces and Stoves.

About 700,000 of the Dimplex products were sold between January 1998 and December 2008 at numerous retailers.

The plug-in wall unit can overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.

Dimplex has received about 5,000 reports of the plug-in wall units overheating including 19 reports of damage beyond the remote control

One house fire in Columbus, Ohio was blamed on the remote control overheating.

The recalled remote control kits are used with Dimplex, Electraflame, Symphony, Optiflame, Electralog and Charmglow brand electric fireplaces, stoves and fireplace inserts.

They include a black or dark gray hand-held remote control and also a black or dark gray wall unit that plugs into an electrical wall outlet.

Recalled model numbers include 47-1001, 47-1010-R and APT-1315.

The model number is printed on either the plug-in unit or the hand-held remote control.

The fireplace or stove's brand name is printed on both units.

Consumers should immediately stop using the remote control kits, unplug the power cord from the remote control kit's wall unit, remove the wall unit from the electrical outlet and contact Dimplex for a free replacement kit.

Consumers can continue to operate the fireplace or stove by plugging the fireplace or stove's electrical cord directly into an electrical outlet.

For additional information, contact Dimplex North America toll-free at (866) 673-9880 anytime, or visit the firm's Web site at www.recall.dimplex.com

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.