BHS grad blocks away from arrest

By Dave Greber
By Matt Hicks

April 20, 2013 Updated Apr 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM EDT

(WBNG Binghamton) The massive manhunt for the second suspect in the deadly Boston bombings ended with cheers from the streets of Watertown.

Kudos were passed among first responders as they said the words "suspect in custody."

A short time later, it was determined to be the second man wanted in connection to Monday's marathon bombings.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was taken into custody at approximately 8:45 p.m.

A resident at 67 Franklin St. told police he found a man who was bleeding was in his boat, which was covered and parked in his driveway.

CBS News reported Tsarnaev is in serious but not critical condition.

It's believed he was shot early Friday morning during a gunfight with police.

It was during that incident along the streets of Watertown that his brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was shot.

He was later pronounced dead an a Boston-area hospital.

The gunfight happened after the two men reportedly robbed a convenience store near the campus of M-I-T and then subsequently shot and killed an MIT police officer.

The entire city of Watertown was locked down as police conducted their search home by home, block by block.

Steve Myers, who is originally from Binghamton and a Binghamton High School graduate, watched the entire event unfold from his home in Watertown.

"I've been stuck inside, avoiding looking out the window as much as possible," Myers said. "But there was basically never a moment where there wasn't a helicopter in the sky and police cars driving around the neighborhood."

Although Myers' home wasn't searched by police, he said it was still frightening knowing the suspect could be anywhere.

But after Tsarnaev was taken into custody, Myers said the feeling turned to relief.

"I just felt really relieved that I could stop worrying about it, that I wouldn't be hearing anymore gunfire and my house would stop shaking from the helicopters," he said.