Binghamton fire sparked by man 'cooking meth'
Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A fire that displaced dozens of tenants of an apartment complex on Main Street was started by a man cooking methamphetamine, investigators said Monday. The fire broke out just before 11:45 p.m. Saturday at an apartment complex at 259 Main St. On Sunday, Feb. 23, Binghamton Police responded to investigate. They later determined the fire was set by a man cooking drugs the night before. Daniel Kauchis, of Binghamton, was charged with reckless endangerment and arson. Police said they believe Kauchis was "cooking meth" in an apartment when mixed ingredients created a chemical reaction that caused a small explosion. Kauchis was burned on his leg, face and hand. He was arraigned in Binghamton City Court and is being held at the Broome County Jail. The apartment building has extensive damage and is uninhabitable, leaving dozens of tenants homeless, according to police. The Southern Tier Chapter of the American Red Cross initially sheltered 41 people the night of the fire. The Binghamton Police Department along with the Binghamton Fire Marshal's Office are working together on the case. The Binghamton Fire Department had staff on the scene from the 11:43 p.m. Saturday through 8:15 p.m. Sunday.