Chenango Forks Fire

By Casey Killian

October 29, 2012 Updated Oct 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM EDT

Town of Chenango, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An accident that seemed bad, could have been much worse if not for some quick thinking.

Chenango Forks, Greene and Port Crane fire departments responded to a small house fire at 3650 on State Route 73 in Chenango Forks Monday afternoon.

Firefighters say the cause may have been lit candles that fell onto a blanket.

Chief Lou Merritt of Chenango Forks Fire Department said, "Basically it was confined to the bathroom area. A Young lady says she woke up, the blanket was on fire, she threw it in the bathtub, she panicked and luckily closed the door. Everything was contained to the bathroom, nobody hurt."

Merritt also commented on how they were taking extra precaution with the impending storm on it's way.