Space heater sparks Endicott apartment fire
Endicott, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A fire that broke out Sunday in an apartment building in the village of Endicott was caused by an electric space heater, officials said Tuesday. A short in a cord for the space heater is believed to have caused the blaze in a first floor apartment. Crews from multiple departments were called to Liberty Avenue and North Street just after 4 p.m. on reports of heavy smoke. The fire quickly required a second alarm for additional crews. According to the acting Endicott Fire Chief Joseph Griswold, there are eight units in the building. Crews had the flames under control in approximately 10 minutes. No one was injured. "There were people in the building.The occupant of that apartment (that caught fire) was not home, " Griswold said. Griswold said the unit where the fire broke out was extensively damaged. Officials believe a Guinea Pig died as a result of the fire. Crews from Endicott, West Corners and Union Center were called to the scene.