TV malfunction sparks fire leaving family displaced

By Chelsea Bishop

TV malfunction sparks fire leaving family displaced

December 10, 2013 Updated Dec 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM EDT

Guilford, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A home in Chenango County is destroyed after a television malfunctioned Monday night.

Guilford and Oxford fire departments responded to a house fire at 118 Mechanic Street.

Chief Ken Haynes of the Guilford Fire Dept. said the two-story home caught fire around 6 p.m.

The family living there was inside the home at the time of the fire, but were able to escape safely.

Chief Haynes says the home is a total loss.

The Chenango County Bureau of Fire says the malfunctioned television was in the home's living room.