Fire flattens home in Vestal

By Perry Russom

February 16, 2014 Updated Feb 16, 2014 at 10:48 PM EDT

Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A home in Vestal was destroyed early Sunday after fire ripped through it.

The fire consumed the home on Grippen Hill Road.

When the Vestal Volunteer Fire Department arrived, they found the house fully engulfed in flames.

That forced them to take a "defensive" approach and fight the fire from the outside, rather than sending crews inside.

"It was very difficult in the deep snow and it's really cold," said Vestal Fire Chief Pat McPherson. "Just had to make sure we kept the water flowing so we wouldn't freeze up."

McPherson urged homeowners to ensure fireplaces and chimneys are cleaned, as officials believe the home's wood stove caused the fire. Still, the exact cause remains under investigation.

The man who owns the house said he was building it for his daughter.

No one was injured.