State Street Fire: Cause Known

By Alice Maggiore
By Matt Porter

April 13, 2012 Updated Apr 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM EST

Port Dickinson, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Broome County Fire investigators say the fire that destroyed a home at 769 State Street in Port Dickinson started because an electrical cord was crushed.

Investigators say a TV stand was resting on the cord, and the electrical outlet it went to was of an older style.

Instead of being 16 inches up from the floor, as recommended, it rested right on the baseboard.

The family was not home at the time of the fire.

Two cats and one dog were rescued.

It took 6 area fire departments to put out the fire.