Names released in helicopter crash

By Erika Mahoney

Names released in helicopter crash

July 29, 2013 Updated Jul 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM EDT

(WBNG Binghamton) Details are still emerging in the tragic crash of a helicopter that left from Tri-Cities Airport in Endicott.

Four adults and one child died when the helicopter went down late Saturday in Pennsylvania.

The passengers include Noah Robert McKain Woodland, 3, his father Carl Robert Woodland, 29, Leanna Mee Kelly, 27, her father Bernard Michael Kelly, 58, and David Ernest Jenny Jr., 30.

On Monday, the manager of Tri-Cities Airport in Endicott spoke about the group who stopped there Saturday afternoon for fuel en-route to Lehighton Pa.

"The aircraft took on fuel about 4 o'clock, took on about 30 gallons of fuel, which is reported on my computer," said Airport Manager Gerard Corprew.

Just a few hours later, Corprew met two of the five who were on board.

"I did meet the father and young son about 6 o'clock in the lobby. They appeared to be waiting for the helicopter to come pick them up. I left here about a quarter to 7. I left them in the lobby, and the young son was just playing with his little toys."

Corprew said he is not sure of their relationship with the rest on board.

"I believe that they were part of a group, and they were dropped off, and the other group was probably in a tour-type or training scenario."

As they took off, severe thunderstorms were in their path.

Air traffic controllers lost contact around 10:30 p.m. Saturday after the pilot reported losing altitude.

Rescuers found the crashed helicopter Sunday in the woods of Wyoming County, Pa.

"As a little more information became available, the ceiling lifted, we could, we were able to get in a little closer and locate the crash site," said Noxen Volunteer Fire Company Chief Lew Hackling.

Corprew said he will remember the father and son he met playing and having a good time.

"I still see the young man and his son in the back of my mind playing and having a good time.Very nice father, son interaction. The son was always talking 'daddy, daddy this, and daddy, daddy that.'"

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the crash.