(WBNG Binghamton) Have you fired up the grill today for Memorial Day? Firefighters want you to remember to play it safe.
It's the unofficial start of the outdoor grilling season.
A barbeque grill can start a fire if not done safely.
New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control says to make sure your grill is set up away from siding and deck railings.
Never start a barbeque indoors and always keep a close eye on it.
Also, keep children away from any area near hot charcoals or open flames.
"It hurts to get burned obviously so you don't want kids around that fire and you want it in a contained, something that is made for cooking," says Christopher Mallery, of the Binghamton Firefighters' Benevolent Association.
In the City of Binghamton, outdoor cooking of any kind is prohibited on balconies, covered porches and covered patios in any multiple dwelling homes.