Battisti & Garzo, P.C. is proud to serve the legal needs of the Southern Tier of New York. Our team is here for you when you need assistance with a legal matter. With a prompt and personal response, we are committed to providing you with the legal expertise you need now!
Our Law Firm provides a wide range of legal services:
• Criminal Defense: Felony, Misdemeanor & Violation Level Offenses
• Federal Practice: Criminal and Civil Cases
• Speeding Tickets
• Family Law
• Wills & Estate
• Real Estate
• Landlord / Tenant
• Personal Injury
• Workers' Compensation
After an Accident: When to Use a Lawyer
If you've been in a car or other accident, one of the key questions you will have is: "Do I need a lawyer?" The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the seriousness of the accident and severity of your injuries.
There are times when you may not need a lawyer's help after an accident. If you were in a minor fender bender and are sure you were not hurt, you may not need a lawyer's help.
But for most other times after an accident, it is vital to have a lawyer's help. If there is a dispute over fault, it is important to speak to an attorney. If you suffered serious injuries from the accident, you should definitely consult a lawyer. Even if your injuries are small, you should still talk to a lawyer because some serious injuries take time to develop.
One reason why it's vital to talk to a lawyer after an accident is because of the way insurance companies operate. An accident victim who deals directly with an insurance adjuster is taking on a huge risk. Insurance companies are in business to make money. One way they do this is to lower the amount they pay for claims, including your claim. They will try many tactics to do this, as they know you are inexperienced in handling accident claims. Having a lawyer help you deal with an adjuster gives you a much better chance to get a large settlement.
There are other reasons why you should use a lawyer after an accident. Your lawyer can explain your rights and duties, and tell you how much money you are entitled to receive. In addition, some claims have special rules. Not following them can cause you to lose your claim.
Maybe you are not only the victim, but are also accused of causing an accident. Your lawyer can help show if your "fault" was only small, to limit your liability. Your lawyer can also find out if you have insurance that will pay the claim or if someone else should share the responsibility.
As the above shows, in most cases you should have a lawyer's help after an accident, especially if you were hurt. Having a lawyer's help will increase your chances of getting the best settlement and make sure you don't become another victim of insurance company misconduct.
Is the Executor required to notify other family members as part of the probate process?
An important component of the probate process is obtaining the written consents of “distributees” – those people who would inherit the decedent’s estate if there was no will. In most cases, this means the decedent’s spouse and children, or if none, then decedent’s parents or siblings. This is the case even if the so called distributes are not mentioned in the will. If the distributees will not sign a written consent, then a citation must be obtained from the court and served on the distributee. The court then sets a return date where the person has a chance to file objections to the will.
The Value of Having a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you get in an accident and want to make a claim, one of the first things you have to decide is whether to use a lawyer, or whether to make a claim against the wrongdoer and his or her insurance company yourself. For many reasons, if you are hurt in an accident, you should get a lawyer's help rather than try to do it yourself. Here are some of the main reasons.
- You can get a free consultation to discuss and evaluate your case. An experienced personal injury lawyer can tell you how strong your case is. Also, because a lawyer knows the many different things that accident victims can recover money for, you can get a good idea about how much money you're legally entitled to recover.
- Your lawyer can help you on related matters. For example, your lawyer can recommend doctors who are specialists for treating your injuries and refer you to car repair facilities.
- You need someone on your side who's experienced in dealing with insurance companies. Insurance companies have many people working for them. Often, they'll try to avoid or delay paying valid claims, or offer unfairly low amounts to settle claims. Accident victims need someone to assert their rights to get what they are legally entitled to. An experienced personal injury lawyer, who knows how insurance companies work, is the best person to do this.
- You pay only if you win. A key benefit of using a lawyer for personal injury claims is the contingency fee. A contingency fee is a fee that's paid only if you win. It is typically paid out of the recovery. Contingency fees are great because they let anyone who has a good case get legal help. Because of contingency fees, accident victims who don't have much money can win claims against large insurance companies.
- You will likely get more money. For most accident victims, this is the main reason for using a lawyer. A study was done which shows that auto accident victims who use lawyers receive about 25% more money than those who do not use lawyers even after deducting all costs.
What is the first thing an Executor named in a will must do after a person dies?
The first this that an Executor must do is “probate” the Will. Probate in the process by which an Executor obtains court approval to deal with a decedent’s assets. An Executor has no authority until the appropriate judge says so. In New York, the probate of the will occurs in the Surrogate Court located in the County where the decedent died. The process starts with the filing of a probate petition, the original Will, family tree and several other notices and consents with the Surrogate Judge.
From Battisti & Garzo, PC
What can I expect from Battisti & Garzo, PC as my legal representation?
The attorneys at Battisti & Garzo , P.C. offer a wide range of legal experience that will benefit you as we handle your case. Our defense team is prompt, professional, and knowledgeable: We are dedicated to protecting your legal rights, and we will personally see your case through to the end. We pride ourselves on the fact that you will always be kept up-to-date on the status and resolution of your case. Call us today to schedule a free office consultation.