Why is this one of our favorite chicken soups? Maybe because of the homemade dumplings that are swimming in it. Chicken and Dumplings is a hearty soup that you can enjoy as a meal-starter or a main dish.
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add celery and carrots, and sauté 6 minutes, or until tender. Stir in broth, poultry seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, stir together biscuit mix and milk until blended. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1" x 3" strips.
- Drop strips, one at a time, into boiling broth; stir in chicken. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You can lighten up this Southern classic without sacrificing taste. Substitute low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, reduced-fat biscuit baking mix, and fat-free milk for their regular counterparts.