Try this for a lighter version of homemade deep-dish pizza that's packed with flavor, minus the belly-busting guilt. Skinny Pizza Casserole is a super option for anyone watching their waistline.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (9.4-ounce) package precooked turkey sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 (8-ounce) package low-fat mozzarella cheese (12 slices)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat; add sausage, and mushrooms, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, unroll pizza dough and press into bottom and halfway up sides of prepared baking dish. Line bottom of crust with 6 slices mozzarella cheese. Top with meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 12 minutes. Top with remaining cheese slices, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is melted. Let sit 2 to 3 minutes then slice and serve.