Bakery-style Italian Cream Cake may start with a cake mix, but it ends up with layer upon layer of a to-die-for from scratch taste, that will make you feel like a star baker.
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix with pudding
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3-1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
- 1 2/3 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 2 (12-ounce) containers cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, and oil with an electric beater on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and 2/3 cup pecans. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Sprinkle each cake layer with rum, if desired; let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir together frosting and remaining 1 cup pecans. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake (see Tips). Chill 2 hours before slicing.
Always cool the cake layers completely and brush away excess crumbs before frosting. Stack the first 2 layers on a serving plate, bottom-side up, then place the top layer right-side up. This will make a straight and tall cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the sides to set any crumbs then spread frosting generously on the sides and tops. There – you’ve got a perfect layer cake!