Hot Cross Buns are one sweet Easter tradition. Our easy recipe for baking your own bakery-style Cranberry Hot Cross Buns is a twist on the traditional raisin variety, and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
Cooking Time: 20 min
- 18 frozen dinner roll dough balls, thawed but still cold (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut dinner roll dough balls in half. Press 1-1/2 pieces together and form a flat circle, about 2 inches wide. Place a heaping teaspoon of cranberries in center of dough circle; bring edges together and pinch tightly to close. Shape into a round roll and place on baking sheet; repeat with remaining roll dough.
- Cover rolls with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove wrap from rolls and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden; let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients until smooth. Spoon into a small resealable plastic storage bag. Cut a small corner off bag and make a cross with glaze on each bun. Let glaze harden then serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
Makes 1 dozen buns.
- If you cannot find this dough in your supermarket freezer case, you can use 2 (1-pound) packages frozen bread dough; just thaw and cut it into 9 pieces each.
- Looking for even more Easter recipes? Download our Mr. Food Easter Celebration: 35 Excellent Easter Recipes free eCookbook for brunch, dinner and dessert favorites!