Our shortcut version of a British classic, Cottage Pie, is made with tender top sirloin beef and veggies swimming in beefy gravy that's topped off with mashed potatoes and baked to perfection.
Cooking Time: 55 min
- 1 1/4 pounds top sirloin beef, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 (12-ounce) jars beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown beef and onion 6 to 8 minutes. Drain off excess liquid, if needed.
- Add carrots, peas, gravy, and thyme; mix well and pour into casserole dish. Place mashed potatoes over top and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until heated through.
To avoid a potential mess, place a baking sheet under the casserole dish, since this just might bubble over.