This shortcut version of the classic Greek favorite moussaka can be on your table in no time! With tender layers of eggplant, ground beef and a creamy custard topping, they'll be shouting "Opa!" when you serve it!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 7" x 11" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, sauté the ground beef over medium-high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until crumbly and only slightly pink; drain off any excess liquid.
- Add the eggplant to the skillet and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, until the eggplant begins to soften. Add the garlic, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper; mix well. Add the spaghetti sauce and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until hot; place mixture in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the custard-like top is set.