Pancake mix isn’t just for breakfast, and beer isn’t just for drinking. Proof of that is with our mouthwatering pub-style recipe for Beer Battered Fish Fry. You’ll lure everyone to the table with this catch!
Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 egg
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 1/2 pounds white-fleshed fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, beer, and egg; mix well.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Dip fish pieces into batter, coating completely, then fry in oil 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until coating is golden and fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately.
You can substitute club soda for the beer, if you prefer. If batter begins to thicken, just add a bit more liquid.