Our salute to the classic creamy snack cakes that became popular in the '60s, is real a crowd-pleaser. Bake a batch of our Twinkie Cupcakes that put a new spin on this old favorite.
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, water, vanilla, and lemon peel; mix well. Divide mixture equally into muffins cups.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely, then slice each cupcake in half horizontally.
- In another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar and shortening until creamy, then beat in the heavy cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread equally over the bottom cupcake halves then replace tops. Serve, or cover and chill until ready to serve.