Chocolate cream pie is definitely a diner and comfort food favorite and now you can make it at home, too. Our easy chocolate cream pie recipe uses homemade chocolate pudding, so we're sure everybody will be asking for it again and again!
- 1 rolled refrigerated pie crust (from a 15-ounce package)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 pint (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Unroll pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate, pressing crust firmly into plate, then flute if desired. Bake pie shell according to package directions; let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into cooled pie crust and chill 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater, combine heavy cream and confectioners' sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over pie, cover loosely, and chill 8 hours or overnight before serving.
- You can use 2 cups whipped topping instead of whipping the cream with the confectioners' sugar.
- To make this look extra special, just before serving, top with shaved chocolate or sprinkles.