African-inspired, southern-style Benne Wafers are a sesame seed flavored cookie that are popular as part of traditional Kwanzaa celebrations but Benne Wafers can be enjoyed anytime.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric beater. Add remaining ingredients; mix well then drop by teaspoonful 1-1/2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Makes about 4 dozen wafers.
To toast sesame seeds, place in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat and stir occasionally until lightly browned.