- 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears), divided (see Notes)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a food processor, combine 1-3/4 cups corn kernels, the eggs, milk, and butter; process 3 to 4 times, or just until corn is coarsely chopped.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, mozzarella cheese, chives, salt, and pepper; stir in remaining corn kernels and the chopped corn mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- For each cake, pour 1/8 cup of batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet. (Do not spread or flatten cakes). Cook cakes 3 to 4 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Turn and cook other side 2 to 3 more minutes.
Makes about 3 dozen.
To remove corn from the cob, cut the wide end so it stands up and, using a sharp knife or corn stripper, cut off the kernels. It’s also fine to substitute thawed frozen corn for the fresh.