Could it be? Is it possible? A sinfully rich-tasting strawberry shortcake with a lighter twist? Yes, our recipe for Guilt-Free Strawberry Shortcake, is a lighter version of classic strawberry shortcake that will make you a homemade hero.
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit baking mix
- 3/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine baking mix and milk, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a work surface dusted with baking mix. Knead dough 10 times, adding a little more baking mix to stiffen it, if needed. Roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 6 circles. Place dough circles on an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, and cinnamon; mix well and brush over dough circles.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut each biscuit horizontally in half and separate. Distribute half the strawberries and half the whipped topping over biscuit bottoms. Replace tops, dollop with remaining whipped topping, and decorate with remaining strawberries. Serve immediately.