The Pennsylvania Dutch people take advantage of their gardens whenever possible, and this easy version of a classic hearty Amish Beef Barley soup is chock full of veggies for a healthy stick-to-your-ribs main dish soup.
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 carrots, coarsely diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- In a soup pot, heat oil over high heat. Add beef, onion, mushrooms, and carrots and sauté 6 to 8 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Add diced tomatoes including the liquid, beef broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is tender.
- Add barley and simmer an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until barley is tender. Serve immediately.