Need a downright delicious change-of-pace nibbler? Take your taste buds to some traditional Southern-style cooking and treat everyone to our easy batter-dipped Southern Fried Pickles. Yes, pickles! If you've never tried them, these are a must!
Preparation Time: 5 min
Chilling Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried dillweed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (24-ounce) jar dill pickle spears, chilled
- 3 cups canola oil
- In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, flour, lemon pepper, dillweed, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. In another shallow dish, whisk milk and eggs together.
- Dip pickles into egg mixture, then place in breading mixture and coat evenly on all sides. Place on wax paper-lined platter. Chill 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Carefully add chilled pickles in batches to oil and fry 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towel-lined platter.
Serve with your favorite ranch dressing.