Our Super Creamy Mushroom Soup is so rich and creamy, it tastes like a fancy restaurant chef made it. That’s because our Test Kitchen team has shared some easy secrets to making the best homemade cream soups ever. Give it a try and we bet you’ll agree.
Cooking Time: 35 min
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, salt, and pepper; saute until tender.
- Add flour and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly stir in half-and-half and browning sauce and simmer 5 additional minutes, or until thickened. Serve immediately.
If you want to reheat leftover soup, just warm it over a low heat, stirring occasionally. And if you'd like to make this lighter, replace the half-and-half with 1% milk and use low-sodium chicken broth.
As far as we're concerned, there's nothing like some hearty bread to soak up any good-to-the-last-drop of soup in our bowls!