If you've never used buttermilk in a batter, are you ever in for a treat. Our delicious crispy batter-fried Buttermilk Fish Fillets will win you loads of tasty compliments.
Preparation Time: 5 min
Chilling Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 2 pounds white-fleshed fish fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup biscuit baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more if needed for frying
- Place fish in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish and pour buttermilk over fish, completely coating it. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes, turning once.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine biscuit baking mix, salt, and ground red pepper; mix well. Remove fish from buttermilk, discarding excess buttermilk, and place in biscuit baking mixture, coating evenly on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Place a few pieces of fish in skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden and fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove to a paper towel-lined platter, cover with foil, and repeat with remaining fish, adding more oil if needed. Serve immediately.