Spanish rice is a popular Mexican and southwestern USA dish that can be enjoyed as a main dish or a go-along. Our beefed up version of Garden Spanish Rice is sure to hit the spot when the gang comes home hungry.
Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, not drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- In a soup pot, brown ground beef and onion over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain off excess liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients except the zucchini; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add zucchini and continue cooking 10 additional minutes, or until rice is tender.