This Amish bakery classic has all the hallmarks of homemade goodness, but our Amish Bakery Custard Pie can be made with a flaky-as-can-be store-bought crust, if we're looking for an easy shortcut.
Chilling Time: 7 hr
Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie crust*
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the half-and-half and cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add butter, brown sugar, and vanilla and stir until butter is melted. Pour into baked pie shell and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake 35 minutes; center of pie will not be set. Cool pie 1 hour, then refrigerate 6 to 8 hours, or until ready to serve. Pie will set upon chilling. Cover for longer storage.
*Use frozen, refrigerated, or your own homemade pie crust.