You won’t believe how easy it is to turn out this Greek restaurant and festival favorite at home. Our delicious Chicken Gyros topped with traditional cucumber-yogurt sauce can be on your table in no time.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chunked
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 2 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- In a food processor or blender, lightly pulse yogurt, sour cream, cucumber, dill, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, leaving mixture chunky. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt, pepper, and the oregano. Add chicken to skillet, and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until no pink remains and juices run clear. Pour remaining lemon juice over chicken about 2 minutes before the end of the cooking time; remove from pan and let cool slightly.
- Cut chicken into strips. Open each pita pocket and, distributing evenly, fill with lettuce, tomato, and chicken. Top with cucumber sauce, and serve.