In salute of the Summer Olympics in London, our Test Kitchen came up with a special recipe, popular at British Pubs worldwide. Whether for game-watching or anytime, our flavorful Olympic Pub Steak Sandwiches will earn you a gold medal in the kitchen!
Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 (8-ounce) strip steaks
- 2 crusty hoagie rolls, cut in half horizontally
- In a small bowl, combine blue cheese, 1 tablespoon butter, and garlic; mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add onions and salt and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove to a dish and set aside.
- Press peppercorns into both sides of steaks. In the skillet or on a griddle pan, melt remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium doneness. Slice steaks across the grain and distribute evenly on hoagie roll halves. Top with onions and blue cheese mixture; serve immediately.