Warm sandwiches oozing with melty cheese just shout comfort! And our easy recipe for this trio of favorite fillings is sure to have your family singing your praises. Yes, this is what's known as a Monte Cristo Sandwich, and you'll be known for being the hero that made it!
Cooking Time: 20 min
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 (1-ounce) slices Swiss cheese
- 16 slices egg bread (challah)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and milk until well combined.
- Equally divide the turkey, ham and Swiss cheese on 8 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices of bread.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Dip two sandwiches, one at a time, in the egg mixture, coating completely. Place in skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until egg is golden and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches, adding more butter as needed. Serve sandwiches immediately.