2 (14-ounce) packages sweetened, flaked coconut
5 egg whites
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 dozen whole blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place coconut in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, just until sugar has dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and mix in almond extract. Pour mixture over coconut; mix well.
- With your hands, squeeze together 1/4-cupfuls of mixture to form slightly rounded mounds. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet, top each with an almond, and bake about 20 minutes, until macaroons begin to color slightly.
- Turn off oven and leave macaroons in oven about 7 to 10 minutes (with oven door closed), until they turn golden.
|NOTE: You can drizzle the macaroons with melted chocolate before serving, if you want. Just melt 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips in a small saucepan over medium-low heat then immediately drizzle it over the top of the cookies.