(WBNG Binghamton) Houses of Worship throughout Binghamton and Johnson City are welcoming visitors on Sunday, May 19, 2013.
Ron Borgna and Deacon Stephen Boyd came by to talk about it.
1. Centenary-Chenango St. United Methodist Church. 438 Chenango St .Open 11:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m. 100 year old edifice is a landmark on the North Side of Binghamton. The stained glass windows are from the Haskins Studios in Rochester, N.Y. and are original to the building. Centenary United Methodist Church combined with Chenango St. United Methodist Church to form this church community. The interior has been maintained in its original appearance.
2. Church of St. Paul. 282 Chenango St. Open 12:00 p.m. -2:00 p.m. Truman I. Lacey & Sons were the architects in 1905. It is in the cruciform style with dual square flanking towers of different heights. The facade contains a triple door entrance with the central entrance higher than the side entrances.
3. St. Mary of the Assumption. 192 Court St. Open 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Constructed in Romanesque Style with two square towers at either corner of the facade. The towers are ornamented with cruciform finials. T. I. Lacey & Son designed the church between 1893 and 1894.
Clinton Street area
4. Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church, 150 Clinton St. Open 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Constructed in 1960 to replace parish church built in 1904. Cruciform in shape with a stepped central tower rising from the crossing features a belfry terminating in a gilded crucifix. East of the church is the Franciscan Friary.
5. St. Michael's Orthodox Church, 280 Clinton St. Open 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
"It has been said that Icons are literally windows into heaven. Come and behold the glory of our Lord and His Saints through the magnificent Icons of St. Michael's Orthodox Church." Fr. Dutko
6. Ascension Lutheran Church, 324 Clinton St. Open 12:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. Constructed, 1910. Named for the Ascension, closest church festival day to the dedication of the church. Early Slovak members were shoe and cigar factory workers. Stained glass art over front entry is written in Slovak.
7. John Hus Presbyterian Church, 47 Glenwood Ave. Open 1:00 p.m. -3:00 p.m. Czech inscriptions and chalice motif throughout church. Congregation is proud of their church as a place of worship in a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
8. Church of the Holy Trinity, 346 Prospect St. Open 11:00 a.m.-2:00p.m. Romanesque style with long main section that terminates in apse containing main altar at rear, north east elevation. Facade contains large rose window. Church has Henry Keck stained glass windows and Skinner organ. The Church of the Holy Trinity was formed resulting from the merger of St. Ann's, St. Joseph's and St. Stanislaus Kostka Churches.
West Side, Riverside Drive area
9. Our Free Will Baptist Church, 80 Front St. Open 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Built in 1884 in Late Victorian Style. The interior is basically unaltered with curved pews facing the altar. Church is on National Register of Historic Places.
10. St. Patrick's Church, 11 Leroy St. Open 11:00a.m.-1:00p.m. Isaac Perry was the architect in 1873. It is of Gothic Revival Style. Stained glass windows were crafted by Franz Mayer & Co., Munich,
Germany. Celtic cast stone cross located on east front lawn of church.
11. Temple Concord, 9 Riverside Dr. Open 11:00a.m.-3:00p.m. Contemporary, one floor synagogue connected to Jonas M. Kilmer mansion. Kilmer was a member of Binghamton's business community whose patent medicine industry included the famed cure-all called Swamp Root.
12. Community of Christ Church, 325 Burbank Ave. Open 12:00 p.m.-2:oo p.m. Contemporary style. Walls of sanctuary and narthex are of cherry stripping over brick and plaster. Interior plan is rectangular focusing on dais.
13. Johnson City Alliance Church, 143 Baldwin St. Open 2:00p.m.-4:00p.m. Commercial building reconstructed and converted to a church to serve the congregation and surrounding neighborhood. Interesting features retained.
14. All Saints Episcopal Church, 475 Main St. Open 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Church is English Country style of native stone and slate. Clerestory contains stained glass windows of the apostles. First services were held in 1916 at the Ash Block, Main St. of the Episcopal Mission that became All Saints Church.
15. Sacred Heart Ukrainian Catholic Church, 230 Ukrainian Hill Rd. Open 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Unique style is Folk Architecture of wooden churches in Carpathian Mts. of Ukraine. Denysenko Family, father and son, wrote the icons and built the iconostasis.
16. St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Orthodox Church, One St. John Parkway. Open 12:30 p.m.- 2:00 p.m. Byzantine Style with three gilded cupolas. At the front entry is mosaic of St. John the Baptist and monument to the millennium of Christianity in Ukraine.
17. Sarah Jane Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church. 308 Main St. Open 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Named for George F. Johnson's mother. Built of Hummelstown Pa. brown stone. Church tower is 112 ft. high with Carillonic Bells. Church is a landmark and can be seen from all directions.