(WBNG Binghamton) Houses of Worship throughout Binghamton, Johnson City, Endwell and Endicott are welcoming visitors on Sunday, May 18.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy is sponsoring a statewide Sacred Sites Open House this Sunday. Locally, the event is hosted by the Sacred Sites Committee of The Preservation Association of the Southern Tier.
The Landmarks Conservancy has set the theme of how immigration and migration shaped New York's sacred sites.
All 25 participants in the Southern Tier will showcase their unique structure, history and culture. This is an opportunity for visitors to view the spectacular interiors of varied religious structures in our community.
The sites are grouped in clusters along specific streets, neighborhoods or downtown areas. In this way, visitors can select groups of sites to visit that may be in walking distance of each other.
Sites will welcome visitors, give tours, sing hymns, perform musical recitals, explain architecture, stained glass windows and tell the history of their building and congregation. Several sites also inform visitors about social and community activities that take place at the site outside of the religious service.
1. Centenary-Chenango Street United Methodist Church, located at 438 Chenango St., is open 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
2. Church of St. Paul, located at 282 Chenango St., is open 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
3. St. Mary of the Assumption, located at 192 Court St., is open 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m
4. Christ Episcopal Church, located at 187 Washington St. is open 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
5. St. Michael's Orthodox Church, located at 280 Clinton St. is open 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
6. John Hus Presbyterian Church, at 47 Glenwood Ave. is open 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
7. Church of the Holy Trinity, at 346 Prospect St. is open 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
8. Trinity Memorial Episcopal Church, at 44 Main St. is open 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
9. St. Patrick's Church, at 11 Leroy St. is open 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
10. Temple Concord, at 9 Riverside Dr. is open 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
11. Community of Christ Church, at 325 Burbank Ave. is open 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
12. Sarah Jane Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church. 308 Main St. is open 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
13. Sacred Heart Ukrainian Catholic Church, 230 Ukrainian Hill Rd. is open 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
14. St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Orthodox Church, One St. John Parkway. is open 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
15. Endwell United Methodist Church, 3301 Watson Blvd. is open 12:00 to 4:00 p.m.
16. Endwell Church of Christ, 3600 Country Club Rd. corner Hooper Road, is open 12.00 p.m. to 4:00p.m.
17. First United Methodist Church, 53 McKinley Ave. is open 11:00a.m. to 2:00p.m.
18. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Endicott, North Side is open 11:30a.m. to 2:30p.m.
19. St. Joseph's Church, 207 Hayes Ave. is open 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
20. Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church, at 210 Hill Ave. is open 12:00 p.m.to 2:00 p.m.
21. Cornerstone Community Church, at 911 E. Main St. is open 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
22. Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Nativity, at 312 E. Main St. is open 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
23. Union Presbyterian Church, at 200 E. Main St. is open 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
24. Central United Methodist Church, at 17 Nanticoke Ave. (Rt. 26) is open 1:00p.m.-3:00 p.m.
25. St. Andrew's Church, at 400 W. Wendell St . is open 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
For more information, visit the PAST website.