(WBNG Binghamton) The Broome-Tioga BOCES SkillsUSA team returned from the state competition in Syracuse with a record number of first place wins.
The team brought home five first place medals in both individual and team contests.
“I won’t say we were surprised, exactly, because we knew we had an outstanding group. But we are truly impressed with the results,” said BOCES Career & Technical Education Principal Thomas McNair.
At the competition, which took place April 23 to April 25, two of the events were for teams, so nine students are first place winners.
The nine winners will go on to compete at the national competition in Kansas City, Missouri, June 22 to June 28. It is the largest national team BOCES has ever had.
BOCES had a team of 57 students total at this year’s competition. Overall, the team placed fourth out of the 86 schools at the statewide contest. The team also brought home four second place trophies and one third place.
• Zach Hunt (Harpursville)
Entrepreneurship (four-person team from cosmetology program)
• Nicole Cooper (Vestal)
• Michaela Fernandez (Central Baptist)
• Sydney Lansing (Vestal)
• Olivia Wickham (Chenango Valley)
• Trevor Huntley (Susquehanna Valley)
Power Equipment Technology
• Mike Allen (Harpursville)
Television Production (two-person team)
• Rhianna Henson (Chenango Valley)
• Noah Holloway (Vestal)
Electrical Construction Wiring
• Zack Riegel (Owego-Apalachin)
• Kyle Baumlin (Vestal)
• Jordan Groats (Owego-Apalachin)
• Tim Lasher (Maine-Endwell)
• Ben Schuttak (Johnson City)
• Steve Greiner (Susquehanna Valley)
• Jacob Judson (Owego-Apalachin)
• John Bolson (Newark Valley)
• Justin Lovejoy (Newark Valley)
• Kegan Mikels (Newark Valley)