(WBNG Binghamton) More than 150 NYSEG and RG&E employees and family members will be contributing their time and energy to community agencies in Binghamton, Rochester and other locations around the state on Saturday, October 20 as part of Iberdrola’s third annual International Volunteer Day.
According to a news release:
NYSEG and RG&E employees will be joining their Iberdrola colleagues elsewhere in the U.S. and in Spain, the United Kingdom, Brazil and Mexico to give back to their communities.
“Our people live and work in the communities we are privileged to serve, and we have a rich tradition of generously contributing to the success of many organizations and causes,” said Mark S. Lynch, president of NYSEG and RG&E. “Our employees’ work on International Volunteer Day will build on that tradition.”
NYSEG and Iberdrola USA employees will be participating in the following community service projects:
• Mom’s House, Johnson City: Volunteers will re-install sidewalk pavers and paint office space from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mom’s House provides safe, secure, free childcare to single parents wishing to pursue their education.
• Salvation Army, Oneonta: Numerous cleaning and organizing projects are on the to-do list for volunteers who will work from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The Salvation Army works with local communities to provide a safe, hospitable location for youths and seniors to gather, provides a food bank and coordinates clothing sales through local thrift stores.
• Southeast Works, Depew: Volunteers will be landscaping, painting and cleaning windows from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Southeast Works provides services to help people with developmental disabilities lead productive, independent and fulfilling lives.
• ACHIEVE (formerly Broome – Tioga ARC), Binghamton: Chores including painting and carpentry projects are in store for volunteers. ACHIEVE provides leadership, advocacy and opportunities to people with developmental disabilities and their families.
• Boy Scouts of America, Tuscarora Scout Reservation, Windsor: Volunteers will paint, clear trails and split wood from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Located on 1,100 acres around Summit Lake, Camp Tuscarora hosts youth Scouting programs, camping and hiking for boys and girls.
• YMCA, Binghamton: As the YMCA continues to recover from flood damage, volunteers will be painting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The YMCA provides housing, childcare, and exercise and wellness programs for all ages.
• Kopernik Observatory and Science Center, Vestal: Volunteers will be painting and landscaping from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Kopernik, offering science programs to children and adults, was built in 1974 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the birth of Copernicus.
RG&E and Iberdrola USA employees will be participating in the following community service projects:
• Mercy Community Services, Rochester: Volunteers will clean out and remove unneeded items from the basement storage area from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Furniture and household items will be organized and made available to the community. This facility provides health care, dental care and advocacy for the uninsured and underserved.
• Center for Youth, Rochester: Painting is on the to-do list for volunteers from 9 a.m. to noon. Volunteers will also rake and carve pumpkins from 1 to 5 p.m. The Center for Youth serves at-risk young adults by providing shelter, counseling, education and referrals.
• Open Door Mission, Rochester: Volunteers will assist with the soup kitchen from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and clean the men’s shelter. The Open Door Mission provides food, clothing and housing to homeless men, women and children.
• American Red Cross, RG&E Sodus Office, Sodus: Volunteers will help staff a community health fair from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Attendees will be able to donate blood and obtain a variety of health information.
As an extension of International Volunteer Day, dozens more NYSEG and RG&E employees have been collecting food for local food pantries since early October throughout the companies’ service areas.